More than just lovely to look at, Sunflowers lend us a little fuel for the fire. Did you know Sunflowers are edible? Add on bright, beautiful petals and savory Sunflower seeds for a dish to remember.
PUMPKIN QUINOA SALAD
- ½ sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups/1 L)
- ¼ cup 100% Pure Olive Oil, divided
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, 35% Less Sodium
- ½ red onion, sliced paper thin
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup Plain Goat Cheese
- ½ cup roasted Sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). On a rimmed baking sheet, toss pumpkin with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and the salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until pumpkin is golden and tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 min. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 15 min. or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and keep covered for 15 min., then fluff with a fork.
- In a large shallow serving bowl, combine quinoa with roasted pumpkin and any juices from the baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining oil. Toss with onion, arugula and crumpled goat cheese. Sprinkle with Sunflower seeds and pepper.